About the Student Volunteer Program
Please note that the process differs from each of our five hospital sites. Please review the information below carefully to determine next steps in order to join the program at the site of your choice.
The student volunteer program is open to students afes 15 + (for Bowmanville, Oshawa, Port Perry or Whitby) or 16+ (for Ajax Pickering) who are enrolled in high school, college or university. As a Lakeridge Health volunteer you'll gain exposure to different hospital programs and professions, develop your leadership abilities and meet new friends - all while making a difference in your community.
Student Application Deadlines
Are you interested in a volunteer role with Lakeridge Health? To get started, please send us your completed application package. Our summer and school-year opportunities are very popular, and we will do our best to match your skills, interests and schedule with our opportunities.
Lakeridge Health Oshawa
- Our summer program will accept applications beginning February 2017. Your completed Student Application, immunization record and two references must be submitted by May 5, 2017.
- The Oshawa site school-year program will accept applications until Aug. 7, 2016.
- Students who volunteered the year prior will receive returning student packages via email.
Lakeridge Health Bowmanville
Lakeridge Health Whitby
Lakeridge Health Port Perry
- Please contact Volunteer Resources at 905-576-8711 ext. 3680 to discuss student opportunities.
If you require help to complete your application form, please contact the volunteer resources team via email or by phone at 905.623.3331 ext. 1288.
- Hard copy application form to print and bring in (PDF)
- Online application form to submit electronically (coming soon)
- Please note: we review all applications but due to the volume, we only contact those selected to move forward in our screening process. We do keep application packages on file for six months.
Our Screening Process - What to Expect
Because we are so committed to safety and quality, we ask all of our volunteers to complete a screening process before joining us. This includes:
- Completing the volunteer application form in full (includes two references and health screening information). Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we only contact those selected to move forward in our screening process. We keep application packages on file for six months.
- Attending a two-hour orientation session to learn more about volunteering with Lakeridge Health.
- Once invited and confirmed to attend an orientation session, you must start your TB testing at one of our Occupational Health offices. At your confirmation of attendance for orientation, contact information will be shared with you for the hospital of your choice. This testing is provided free of charge by Occupational Health. Please Note: This is a process that requires four (4) quick trips into the hospital. A form will be given to you at the completion of these tests, which you must return to the Volunteer Resources office.
- We will schedule an in-person interview so we can learn more about you and find a good match between our openings and your skills and preferences.
- Providing a Police Criminal Records Check (this does not apply to student volunteers for Bowmanville, Oshawa, Whitby or Port Perry - adult candidates only).
You can reach the Volunteer Resources office at 905-623-3331 ext. 1288. You can also find answers to many common questions in our volunteer FAQ. Or check out our student volunteer page on Facebook.
Ajax Pickering Hospital Auxiliary
If you are 16 or older but under 21 years of age and would like to volunteer with us you need to pick up an application package. Generally the packages are distributed through the auxiliary office on a specific day in August. That date is posted to our voice mail message.
The Student program runs from mid-October until the end of September. Students may choose a weekday shift from 4:30-6:30 or a weekend shift Saturday or Sunday morning or afternoon. The requirement is for 4 hours per week